Animal husbandry is the science of breeding and domesticating farm animals. It has been practiced since ages by our ancestors. Agriculture and animal husbandry are woven together and practiced as farming. Breeding is a prominent factor in animal husbandry. With technological advancement, Hybridization and Domestication have scaled up.
Hybridization is interbreeding of two exotic animal breeds for better quality and high yields. This process is not limited to animals but, is practiced over plants. Many Hybridized seeds have marched into the market, improving the quality and productivity, over yester-century crop yielding methods.
Domestication is rearing of animals carried out for economic support and is tied up with Agriculture. The dedicated rural population does practice domestication of animals as a habit. Cattle rearing, Sheep and Goat rearing, Silk and Silkworm rearing and Beekeeping are common practice.
Domestication has three major categories:
a] Planned Breeding.
c] Health care.
Breeding is a prime aspect of domestication. Numbers do count and influence productivity. Food is a basic need. Quality and nutritious feed reflect over quality produce. Health care is of priority. Medication and vaccination over time are a requisite for the prevention of diseases.
To cater to the food requirements of the exploding population animal husbandry is a much-needed occupation.
The sectors of occupation that Animal Husbandry include are Cattle farming, Poultry farming, Sheep and Goat husbandry.
– Cattle Farming.
- Cattle farming is a process of feeding, maintenance, and breeding of cattle. Cattles such as Cows, Bullocks, and Oxen, Bulls are roped in for farming practices in the majority.
- Cattles serve the purpose of production of milk. Cattle farming caters milk as the prime produce.
- Milk is the crux of the dairy industry as it has relied upon the production of milk in a high scale. Dairy products such as Butter, Ghee, and many other products have relied on cattle farming.
- Production of milk on a high scale is much need and farmers apply several methods to achieve the target.
- To upscale the productivity, the lactation period of cattle has to be lengthy.
- An organic feed with adequate roughage and micronutrients promote productivity.