A rain barrel is a fantastic investment particularly for those with outdoor gardens or broad lawns.
There are several benefits of getting rain barrels but it is not always straightforward of deciding which one is better and what to search for while picking one.
When you’re curious how to select the right barrels of rain for you, it’s letting you learn what to search for and what products to invest in.
Benefits of Having a Rain Barrel
There are several explanations why it’s a smart thing to get a rain barrel. Below are six big bonuses for getting a barrel of rain.
- It decreases pollution and increases the quality of water. Since rain barrels catch rainwater that might otherwise wash out through the sewers, carrying toxins, fertilizers, and other contaminants that it picks up going across the lawns and down driveways and highways.
- It’s making the plants better. If you have outdoor plants, the only way they are receiving is rainwater. Yet for your plants to use water from a rain barrel even on hot days is even safer for them than city water.
- It impedes the eroding of the surface. Rainwater drainage from your gutters stops polluted water from flowing into your yard as it rains. Slowing this down tends to minimize the amount of degradation that is occurring and avoids throwing out any of the nutrients.
- It preserves water. Through gathering and using rainwater to tend to your lawn, washing your house, brushing your windows, or even bathing the dog, you conserve the tap water you will usually need for such activities.
- In drought, it comes in handy. If you live in an environment where water is limited during the hot summer there are limitations on aquatic protection, it is very useful to have a rain barrel full of water. While you can’t drink it, when water becomes low, you can use it to do several chores around the house to keep your garden lawn moist.
- They’re saving you money. Your water cost goes down because you are using fewer public power. Imagine not needing to compensate for the water you use, by gathering sufficiently from the skies on those rainy spring days, to tend to your lawn or greenhouse!
10 Best Rain Barrels on the Market
If it comes to picking a Rain Barrels you have several different choices. Below are ten of the best on the market, to help you choose one that fits your garden and your theme.
1. Good Ideas RW50-OAK Rain Wizard Rain Barrel 50 Gallon
The rain barrel Good Ideas has a size of 50 gallonsGood Ideas has a size of 50 gallonsGood Ideas has a size of 50 gallonsGood Ideas has a size of 50 gallons and is constructed from the best usable UV resistant polyethylene resin. It is BPA-free, so it is not going to crack, decay, or rust. A 3⁄4-inch brass spigot is provided, so filling the buckets or adding a hose to water your plants is simpler.
You should match the flat barrel against the home wall. This makes configuration quick, so there’s no need to think about having an additional downspout. The flat-back design gives it a smaller footprint and if required, you can easily connect several barrels together.
A plastic mesh cover prevents pests, contaminants, and animals out of sight. It’s always easy to strip and clean and maintain periodically. This is also a front-side leakage stopping water from escaping from the rear of the barrel and impacting the home’s exterior wall.
How amazing it feels, is one of the best stuff about this tub. The distressed pattern of wood-grain is available in four shades so that you can get one that suits your home feel. Choose between the maple, khaki, purple, and white.
2. RTS Home Accents 50-Gallon ECO Rain Water Collection Barrel
Collecting rainwater to be more environmentally friendly is one thing so utilizing this RTS Companies 50-gallon rain barrelRTS Companies 50-gallon rain barrelRTS Companies 50-gallon rain barrelRTS Companies 50-gallon rain barrel brings that to the next point. Why? Of what? Since this commodity is manufactured from a material that is 100 percent recycled and does not fade or rust.
Since this rain barrel has a flat-back shape, it rests flush against your home’s exterior wall, taking up less room and making setup a little simpler. A plastic barrier prevents dirt and insects out of the view, and the plastic spigot makes it super convenient to hook up a hose to spray your garden or plants.
For a rustic, natural look this barrel has an authentic barrel shape shaped into the plastic. You may connect them together to improve the capacity to absorb water and the front side overflow stops water from pouring over into your home’s wall, mitigating potential injury.
Separately, you can buy a matching barrel stand which lifts the barrel off the ground, making the spigot easy to reach. It works great without the stand but for added convenience, it is a nice thing.
3. VINGLI 100 Gallon Collapsible Rain Barrel
Check out this line from VINGLIVINGLIVINGLIVINGLI if you are searching for a collapsible rain tank. It features a solid PVC frame covered in mesh cloth made from PVC. This substance does not corrode and is healthy to use except in the winter as it is less prone to break than standard barrels of plastics.
This rain barrel contains a spigot as well as a water pump, each one with two rubber valves to avoid leaks. There is also a mesh-covered surface that avoids incoming seeds, bugs, and other objects.
While this rain barrel can be used in just about any environment, it can be quickly collapsed and put away before the rainy season comes back. It’s always quick to mount and you’ll be up again and going in no time.
Another nice thing about this design is that if you need more capacity, you can connect barrels together. This style comes in several sizes as well. Choose a power of 50, 66, or 100gallons.
4. Enviro World EWC FreeGarden Rain Barrel
This Enviro World rain bucketEnviro World rain bucketEnviro World rain bucketEnviro World rain bucket is rugged, sturdy, and made to last. It is constructed of high-quality concrete with injection molding and stores 55 gallons of rainwater. There are protective locking screws for children and a powder-coated steel shield to keep soil and debris away.
The strong full-size brass spigot fits for normal garden hoses and is positioned at a height suitable to fill a watering tank. A two-sided overflow with an extension hose is placed at the top of the pipe, and you can attach several barrels together or push the overflow into another jar.
The wonderful aspect of square style is that. It makes it convenient to put against your home’s an outside wall, and can also snugly fit into a corner and no foundation is required. It’s even available in beige, purple, or green and you can pick the one that fits your home better.
5. Augason Farms Water Storage Barrel
The Augason Farms rain barrelAugason Farms rain barrelAugason Farms rain barrelAugason Farms rain barrel is constructed of food-grade polyethylene and contains 55 gallons of water. This barrel is BPA-free and complies with the rigorous water conservation EPA requirements. In the case of a natural catastrophe or polluted water source, it is a perfect option for emergency water storage.
This barrel leaves behind no aftertaste when used correctly with adequate water handling. Remember that there are declines in diagnosis but not specified. For fast charging, the closed panel has two plug fittings atop.
Those barrels of rain are about two miles long and three-foot-high. They are stackable if you need them to hold water, and can be held securely in temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees F. Augason Farms began operating in 1972. Their goods are manufactured in the USA and they provide a guarantee of fulfillment.
6. Suncast 50 Gallon Rain Barrel with Hose
SuncastSuncastSuncastSuncast allows this barrel of strong resin rain which is built to last for years. It stores 50 gallons of rainwater and has a conveniently fitted square shape against either wall or corner of your building. Tucking it into under your gutter spout is fast, no matter where it is placed.
This barrel comes ready-to-use and needs limited assembly. All you’ve got to do is press the hose. It is quick to fill a watering can or bucket because there is no spigot below the field which is difficult to access. The additional duration of the hose is quite handy and the shut-off valve stops you from creating a mess or wasting gas.
If you live in an environment where there is plenty of rain and need anything with greater ability, you can quickly and easily attach two of these barrels. They don’t need a stand and come together perfectly.
7. Gardener’s Supply Company 75-Gallon Rain Barrel
If you are looking for something a little more trendy, check out Gardener’s Supply for this model. It boasts a modern, futuristic style constructed of UV-stable polyethylene that can endure high temperatures.
This rain barrel contains 75 gallons of water, and the brass tap makes it simple to fill or add a garden hose to a watering bucket. There is a non-corroding glass childproof cover to keep away soil and contaminants as well as interested little children.
The overflow spout can also be connected to a second rain barrel which comes in handy if you live in a precipitated region. The fake sandstone finish and decorative feet are a nice change if you don’t care for the traditional whiskey barrel feel. It’s built like a big olive jar crafted from stoneware and looks amazing next to every house.
8. FCMP Outdoor RC4000-BLK 45-Gallon BPA Free
This simple, functional FCMP Outdoor rain barrelFCMP Outdoor rain barrelFCMP Outdoor rain barrelFCMP Outdoor rain barrel has a flat back design and a wide top opening which makes it easy to mount. The tank comprises 45 gallons. If you want to extend the capability of your set, the side spigots make it simple to attach several barrels using a package.
There is an aluminum mesh barrier that prevents flies, leaves, and other contaminants from contaminating the water and the length of the tube allow it easier to fill your watering can or attach a garden hose without creating a mess or wasting too much water. Many useful features involve a hanging loop for the hose, shut-off lever, and overflow tubing.
It’s built to look like a typical wooden barrel but the solid black paint provides a sophisticated appearance that effortlessly blends in with your home’s landscaping. Plus, the BPA-free UV-resistant recycled plastic is robust and can last season after season.
9. Upcycle 55 Gallon Black Rain Barrel
The Upcycle black rain barrelUpcycle black rain barrelUpcycle black rain barrelUpcycle black rain barrel is constructed from high capacity, good-quality material, recycled polyethylene. This rain barrel contains 55 gallons of rainwater but if you need more power you can connect them together. The top has a mesh shield blocking away any contaminants and stopping insects and animals from reaching into it.
What’s particularly interesting with these barrels is that each one used to be a container of plastic used to transport consumer items such as peppers and pickles. Each is adjusted and overflowed with a spigot and repurposed as a rain barrel.
This cloth can never mold or rust and the black paint seamlessly blends with the surroundings. Situated at the bottom of the pipe, the plastic spigot is consistent with any ordinary garden hose.
Bear in mind that these barrels are recycled and the shades will not fit perfectly if you purchase more than one.
10. Good Ideas Imp-L50-Kha Impressions Palm Rain Barrel
The rain barrel of Good Ideasrain barrel of Good Ideasrain barrel of Good Ideasrain barrel of Good Ideas Impressions is a good option if you want a rain barrel but are aiming for something much more discreet. This rain barrel has a special, self-draining planter top making it the ideal habitat for a number of outdoor plants.
The set barrel itself sits under the top of the planter. It contains 50 liters of water. A shield prevents some mud and clutter out of the way and the built-in leakage helps avoid messes and wastewater. Plus, it’s made of BPA material and is healthy for your plant and soil.
There are two spigots in this tub, one at the bottom that fits best for a garden hose and one about halfway up that is handy to fill watering containers. When the need is, you can even use both spigots concurrently.
One of the great aspects of the barrel of rain is the finish of the palm root. It is a fun contrast to the traditional barrel style and can be seen in nine different colors.
Accessories For Your Rain Barrel System
1. Oatey Mystic Rainwater Collection System Fits 2″ X 3″ Residential Downspouts
This package lets you put direct water into your rain barrelrain barrelrain barrelrain barrel or barrels from the downspouts of your house. It features built-in reservoir channels to direct rainwater from downspout sides, filtering out leaves, dirt, and other debris.
The build suits regular 2-inch downspouts and provides a four-foot hi-flow hose so you can push it right up to the top of your rain barrel, even if it’s not just below the downspout. The two-piece system is simple to build which results in more water and fewer pollutants and debris being gathered.
One of the best stuff about this drug is that it’s crafted from tough, highly durable UV-resistant material. Besides, you may design them to match the current gutter or the home’s exterior. Installation is easy, and instructions are provided step by step.
2. EarthMinded DIY Rain Barrel Diverter and Parts Kit
This EarthMinded packageEarthMinded packageEarthMinded packageEarthMinded package provides everything you need to set up your rain barrel array. This contains a FlexiFit pump, a 31-inch fill pipe, a cover for the winter tube, drain, cap, spigot, tube saw the collection, lock, water seals, and a comprehensive instruction sheet. What you need is a barrel of rain and some materials.
The FlexiFit diverter makes bypassing the rain barrel of extra water and going straight towards the downspout so it does not leak. This prevents the accumulated water away from the house, avoiding harm to the base and allows the network to withstand heavy rains better.
It’s simple to mount and the package fits with regular downspouts of 2 environ or 34 inches. Its package is compatible with every top-filled rain tank, and you can use it for all of the items you prefer. It’s even sold in two-packs and if you have more than one rain barrel you’re all good.Click HereClick HereClick HereClick Here for more Products
What to Look for When Choosing a Rain Barrel?
These are the points to consider as you determine which barrel of rain is appropriate for your yard.
- See to it that the water is free. Most of the newer homes are great although some older buildings can use dangerous lead paint or other roof products or gutters. Think even what kind of shingles are at your house. When tar or grit is going to be a concern a barrel of rain will not fit for your house.
- Decide how much water a barrel of rain will hold. To get an understanding of how many gallons you use in a month, look at your water bill. You should think about how much rain is falling in your town, too. When you live in a rainy environment, you might need a barrel bigger than anyone living in a dry place.
- Make sure you choose one that has a filter and a safe cover. The last thing you want is for a ton of leaves and dirt to accumulate and contaminate the water in your rain tank. You just don’t want to be tempted to let wild animals in, too.
- Choose anything which has security against UV. Only dream about it. Your tank of rain is in the light all the way outside. The greater defense that it has from the light, the more it endures.
- Make sure to have some sort of overflow feature on the barrel you want. If the barrel fills and there is no overflow cover, water could leak out against your home’s wall from the bucket and it may pool across the floor. Over time, that can cause extensive harm.
How to Install a Rain Barrel?
The growing rain barrel is a little different so make sure to obey the guidelines that come with the model you’ve picked. Having said that, here’s a general guide to mount a rain tank.
- Select spot. The key factor to bear in mind is that it needs to be within a few feet of a downspout. You can put it in the back of your house in your garden to make it more convenient to use it or tuck it in an out of the way spot.
- Make sure you’ve got a strong, level base. They become exceptionally strong when rain tanks become loaded. If the land beneath is not secure and flat, then the entire thing will overthrow. It is a smart idea to put down concrete pavers to improve protection, just make sure they’re even.
- Depending on where the spigot is, you might want to lift the barrel at a stand. Some of these barrels have a spigot all the way to the bottom and can be very awkward if you want to fill a container or wash it.
- Determine the rain barrel’s height, and pay for a stand if you want to use it. Lay a long line over the top of the barrel into the downspout, and mark the downspout location at the top barrel point. Instead, weigh 3 inches down, and build another line.
- Drill a slit in the downspout. Often, hole saws are provided with the rain barrel to make this move simple, but others don’t and you will need to have your own.
- On the rain barrel, if you have this choice, choose where to drill the hole at the other end of the drain pipe. Take a place closest downspout.
- Place the diverter within the downspout and protect it with screws. Then, use a versatile hose to attach the diverter to the rain tank. Included would be this. The hose will lie beneath the diverter but shouldn’t be too loose.
- Put on the lid and wait for rain.
How to Use Water from Rain Barrel?
Water from a rain barrel is perfect if you choose to tend to your yard, wash your house, scrub lawn furniture, or spray your grass.
If the rain barrel is expressly built as food safe, you shouldn’t use rainwater for cooking and drinking. And then, you will clean the water or purify it. No water should ever drink directly from any rain tank, no matter what it is produced from.
There are also drawbacks to utilizing a rain bucket. This method of storage of water is beneficial for the Environment and will save money on the water bill. It will enjoy your plants and your pocket.
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon: